In light of the stage 4 COVID-19 restrictions currently in place for Melbourne metropolitan areas and the continued health concerns regarding Coronavirus, we are reviewing plans for the 2020 Melbourne Marathon Festival, scheduled for Sunday 4 October. The health and safety of our participants, spectators and team remains our priority, and we continue to closely monitor the expert advice of local and state authorities.
We are working with the City of Melbourne, City of Port Phillip, the MCC, Victorian Police, Public Transport Victoria, Vic Roads and all our stakeholders on the possibility of moving the event to an alternate date later this year. If this does become the case, registered participants will be offered the choice of participating on the new date, deferring to 2021 or receiving a full refund of their 2020 entry fee.
If postponement is not possible, there is of course the possibility that we won’t be able to run the event this year, in which case, we want to reassure you that all registered participants will be offered the choice of deferring to the 2021 event or receiving a full refund of their 2020 entry fee.
We hope to have an answer for you by no later than 21 September. In the meantime, while we gather all available information, we have suspended new event registrations.
The Melbourne Marathon Festival holds a special place in the hearts of generations of runners. In the past 42 years hundreds of thousands of participants have raised tens of millions of dollars for charity, achieved personal goals and come together in an active celebration of the City of Melbourne. We are hopeful to return to that and thank all of our Spartans, participants, spectators and partners for their continued support and understanding.
Last Updated: 7th August, 2020
Will the Melbourne Marathon go ahead on the 4 October 2020?
Whilst the Victorian State of Disaster timeframe does not currently cover the Event date It is unlikely that the Melbourne Marathon Festival will proceed on the 4 October 2020. We are working with our stakeholders on an alternate date later this year. If postponement is not possible, there is the possibility that we won’t be able to run the Event this year.
When will I know what’s happening?
We hope to have an answer as soon as possible but we are committed to providing an update to you by no later than 21 September 2020.
Why can’t I register?
We have suspended new Event registrations while we gather all available information, we hope to have an answer for you about the 2020 Event no later than 21 September 2020.
Send this to friend