The Science in Sport nutritionist Ben Samuels outlines the performance benefits of using caffeine during race day and why pro athletes performing at the top level trust the product so much.
1. Caffeine acts on your brain, lowering your perception of effort, keeping you pushing harder for longer.
2. It helps improve alertness and concentration.
3. Helps improve reaction time, so you will remember what to do, faster.
4. Caffeine gels are perfect for intense sections of a race or ride, especially when coming up to large climbs in the latter stages of a race.
5. During mountain stages, riders will fuel with double espresso caffeine gels ahead of the large climbs to help reduce the perception of fatigue and give them that much needed support up the climb.