Almost every part of our daily routine has been impacted by the current COVID-19 situation. As the government tightens it’s lockdown measures, we all seem to share the same understanding that running, and other forms of moderate intensity exercise are crucial for both our mental and physical wellbeing.
Running can significantly improve physical and mental health. As a form of aerobic exercise, it can reduce stress, improve heart health, and even help alleviate symptoms of depression.
As a form of cardio exercise that’s easily accessible, running is one of the most straightforward ways to get the important benefits of exercise.
Here are 5 of the physical and mental benefits of running.
- A 30 minute run can lift symptoms of depression and improve mood, no matter what pace you’re going.
- Contrary to what people believe, running actually improves knee health as it helps keep BMI in check and leg muscles strong.
- Running can help you sleep better, improve psychological functioning, and focus better during the day.
- Running can significantly improve cardiovascular health. Running just 5 minutes per day could add years to your life.
- Running changes the brain in ways that make it more resistant to stress by increasing levels of neurotransmitters like serotonin and norepinephrine.