How does a Melbourne Marathon runner become a Spartan?
When do I get my Spartan singlet?
- By completing ten Melbourne marathons. Each finishing time must be recorded in the Official Result Book so that all times can be verified. It is not necessary that the ten marathons be run consecutively.
When do I get my permanent Spartan Race Number?
- Following the successful completion of your 9th Melbourne Marathon and prior to running your 10th Melbourne Marathon, the Melbourne Marathon Spartans Club is to be advised of your 9 Melbourne Marathon times. It is each individual runner's responsibility to advise the Melbourne Marathon Spartans Club of their 9 marathon times.
- Once all finishing times have been verified you will be invited to join the Melbourne Marathon Spartans Club and will be presented with your Spartan singlet so that you can run your 10th Melbourne Marathon in the singlet.
- Singlets are presented at the Clubs Annual General Meeting which is held in the September prior to the October marathon.
Once a Spartan, whose responsibility is it to ensure that each of my successive Melbourne Marathon times have been recorded by the Melbourne Marathon Spartans Club?
- Following the successful completion of your 10th Melbourne Marathon you will then be officially known as a Melbourne Marathon Spartan and be assigned a permanent Spartan Race Number.
What milestones are acknowledged by the Club?
- Whilst every effort is made by the Melbourne Marathon Spartans Club to extract and record each Spartans times from the Official Race Result Book, the responsibility of ensuring your time is recorded is that of each individual.
- A summary of the milestones currently being acknowledged by the Melbourne Marathon Spartans Club are:
10 Year Runner - Acknowledged by the wearing of a Green Spartan Singlet
Each of the ten runners who has completed all Melbourne Marathons since the inaugural marathon in 1978 has a distinctive gold and green singlet with the wording "Melbourne Marathon, I've done all 35, 1978-2012" inscribed on the back.
15 Year Runner - Acknowledged by the wearing of a Blue Spartan Singlet
20 Year Runner - Acknowledged by the wearing of a Red Spartan Singlet
25 Year Runner - Acknowledged by the wearing of a Black Spartan Singlet
30 Year Runner - Acknowledged by the wearing of a Maroon Spartan Singlet