In its latest global trends report, American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) identified 20 trends it believes will shape the global fitness industry in 2019.
For its 13th annual forecast, ACSM asked more than 2,000 fitness professionals employed by commercial gyms, medical facilities, nonprofit organizations and corporate health programs to rank the 2019 fitness trends.
The full list of the top 20 trends:
1. Wearable technology
2. Group training
3. High-intensity interval training (HIIT)
4. Fitness programmes for older adults
5. Bodyweight training
6. Employing certified fitness professionals
8. Personal training
9. Functional fitness training
10. Exercise is medicine
11. Health/wellness coaching
12. Exercise for weight loss
13. Mobile exercise apps
14. Mobility/myofascial devices
15. Worksite health promotion and workplace wellbeing programmes
16. Outcome measurements
17. Outdoor activities
18. Licensure for fitness professionals
19. Small group personal training
20. Post-rehabilitation classes
Read the full ACSM report here.